APM Terminals is the global terminal operating arm of the A.P. Moller-Maersk Group. APM Terminals operates a Global Terminal Network of 76 operating port and terminal facilities and 117 Inland Services operations in 59 countries around the globe.
We are currently seeking a Chief Operating Officer to be based in APM Terminals Apapa Ltd., Lagos Nigeria.
The Chief Operating Officer provides leadership and strategic direction for Operations, Technical, Security and IT functions. Ensure safe, efficient and productive service provision for both marine and landside customers. Provides input to effective strategies for operating the terminal at optimal levels. Also a key member of the terminal management team and has a direct influence on the growth and development of the terminal
The role requires a strong commercial and operational focus individual to drive results and growth by building on the established customer service structure and operational performance.
APM Terminals Apapa Ltd. offers tremendous growth, career and leadership opportunities for those with the ambition, drive and dedication to become one of the best. If you see yourself being part of a team that helps the global economy grow through our worldwide network of customers and terminals, then we definitely want to hear from you!
Working at APM Terminals brings a unique blend of being part of an exuberant, enthusiastic and fast-paced logistics company. You will have the opportunity to be exposed to various fields of expertise, from operations to customer service that will accelerate your development. We believe in encouraging our employees to learn, take risks, and grow their careers.
• The incumbent is expected to provide measurable input to the terminals business strategy within the limits of the role.
• The position will be responsible for setting and delivering the main operational initiatives which are within the strategy of the terminal.
• Establishes and implements current and long-range goals, objectives, plans and policies of port operations and expansions.
•The incumbent is expected to improve the quality of existing operational processes and methods on an ongoing basis.
•Provides the leadership and direction for the Port/Terminal operations and takes responsibility for effective management and safety of all operations staff.
• Leading role in selection, negotiation and finalization of agreements with suppliers & customers including execution and maintenance of SLA’s.
• Ensures operational processes comply with HSSE policies & procedures.
• Liaises with customs agents, trucking companies, customs, port authorities, etc. to ensure that their requirements are met.
• Responsible for setting and achieving the budget for the reporting functions.
• Ensures that the terminal adheres to APM Terminals Global standards on process and people development.
• Motivates, coaches and instructs all operational team members. Structures tasks and goals, establishes efficient courses of action, sets priorities, organises information, efficiently plans and executes daily tasks.
• Supports programs and initiatives that emphasise incremental improvement in work process and outputs over an open-ended period of time.
• Liaise with labor unions (where applicable) and on behalf of APMT take part in long-term contract negotiations with labor unions. Ensure industrial harmony with the workforce.
• Measure and report on operational performance and develop plans to improve relevant key performance indicators
We are looking for
• Completed post-graduate studies in Port and/or Terminal Management, or related business studies is desirable.
• Minimum 7-year experience in operations management roles in terminals.
• Proven direct Operational experience in terminal operations or related industry.
• Detailed understanding of the various links with other functional areas.
• Proven track record and international experience managing complex systems.
• Excellent negotiation and relationship building skills on all levels. Union and Labour relational skills is required.
• Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate across the organization.
• Ability to provide leadership, obtain cooperation and promote a team environment to meet objectives.
• Experience in leading and delivering complex change initiatives in large scale operations.
• Must be able to adapt and execute functional or departmental business plans and contributes to the development of functional or departmental strategies.
• Develops solutions to match business needs, leads the development of new ideas and organizes information to develop, compare and assess alternatives.
• Solid understanding of the container shipping industry end-to-end and an ability to relate with shipping company and other associated industry managers.
• Experience in cost and productivity optimization through process optimization, as well as design and implementation of new operation procedures.
• Extensive understanding of modern terminal operations and terminal management systems.
• Extensive knowledge of APM Terminals Operating System
• Develops people – coaching and mentoring to build organizational capability, talent and bench strength.