FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions.
Job Title: Primary Healthcare Coordinator
Job ID: PHO78839
Job type: Full Time
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
The PHC Coordinator to lead the health components of an integrated humanitarian health, WASH, nutrition and protection program based in Borno state, Nigeria. The PHC Coordinator is responsible for developing and leading technical programming, and plays a critical role in ensuring that the organization’s emergency programming is responsive to the needs of disaster-affected populations in northeast Nigeria. He/she ensures humanitarian activities are evidence-based and adhere to technical standards for the field, and, as circumstances demand, engages at all stages of an emergency, from the initial acute phase through to transition and recovery, and will support technical programs from assessment and conception through close-out and evaluation.
The Health Coordinator is the lead for the largest component of the integrated response, providing leadership to ensure rapid, scale-able and high-quality response across the health sub-sector areas: health systems and clinical support, communicable and NCD, reproductive health and community health and pharmaceuticals.
- Lead the health component of the northeast Nigeria response, with the goal of improving access and services to primary health care, reproductive health, and community health outreach services, as well as the nutritional status of the most vulnerable groups, including pregnant and lactating women and children under 59 months, in conflict-affected and displaced communities in northeast Nigeria
- Conduct sector assessments, provide technical guidance on appropriate emergency activities, and devise sector-specific response strategies for the acute and transitional phases of emergency operations in crisis-affected communities
- Provide technical guidance and support on emergency nutrition programming, particularly as it intersects with health (stabilization centers)
- Provides technical guidance and capacity strengthening for field project site PHC officers and health clinic staff.
- Provides technical guidance in the development and dissemination of tools, protocols and interventions for the project.
- Assist with resource mobilization by designing, drafting, and reviewing concept notes and technical proposals for humanitarian response and related programming, as required
- Develop partnerships and ensure effective coordination with local service providers and international organizations operating in the sector and attend relevant cluster meetings
- Work with operations staff and partners to ensure commodities are procured, handled, and managed properly, in accordance with the organization’s pharmaceutical supply-chain management protocols
- Determine staffing needs for the health program and conduct recruitment in collaboration with management and home office staff, as necessary
- Manage field personnel supporting emergency programming
- Conducts analysis of program implementation to identify areas for improvement and propose appropriate technical strategy and guidelines.
- Provides leadership and team building.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors and prepare reports.
- Ability to problem solve and implement corrective action as needed.
Required Applied Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Nursing, Medicine, Public Health, Human Development or Related Field**
- 5-8 years of experience implementing and coordinating on-site primary health and clinical activities in humanitarian/crisis response projects with a wide variety of stakeholders required
- Knowledge of emergency nutrition activities including assessments and activity design is highly desired
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company of progressive program management experience in humanitarian assistance or related industry experience in a relevant technical area.
- Experience coordinating complex programs with wide variety of stakeholders
- Knowledge of US Agency for International Development (USAID)/Office of US Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) proposal guidelines
- Knowledge and application of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS), Sphere standards, and Red Cross/NGO Code of Conduct
- Skill in developing responsive, evidence-based program designs, including budget development
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Breadth of geographic experience preferred
** Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience sufficient to successfully perform the key responsibilities of the job.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
To apply for this job please visit fhi.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.