Social Media Manager Job description sample
This Social Media Manager Job description sample can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Job Title: Social Media Manager
The Social Media Manager is responsible for managing the Social Media Strategy within the organisation. The definition of ‘Social Media’ is dependent on the platforms being used within the organisation which is reflected in the job description. Some only for the management of current tools /platforms (ie. Facebook, Blogging, LinkedIn) where others are looking to expand into new channels (Pinterest, Foursquare etc). Others, who are more enlightened, see a broader scope of social media within brand and new product development and crisis communications part of the remit.
The variation on the job titles includes PR and Social Media Manager, Social Media Consultant, Social Media Executive Manager, SEO and Social Media Specialist. Some overlap with Search roles.
- Junior roles within the team
The more junior roles include Executive and Assistant roles. Online Marketing Executives. Digital Sales Executive – Social Media, SEO within the title. The Community Manager job title may represent a more hands-on role manager social media accounts or the companies own on-site community, but could be a more senior role also.
- Industry sector
- Client/Agency side
- Summary/Scope of role
- Main Duties /Areas of responsibility
- Responsible for improving the SEO ranking and for customer engagement strategies.
- Responsibilities include copywriting, keyword strategy, link building, site architecture.
- Management of Agencies.
- Plan and implement customer research and using the findings to feed into the online strategy to support the business goals (growth, retention, engagement).
- Agency roles ask for the ability to understand client objectives and alignment of the social strategy In addition to managing social media platforms for the client and build ongoing relationships.
- Present findings to key stakeholders to drive the social media strategy and engage key users.
- Identify new tools, including reporting tools to measure the strategy.
- Responsible for the blogging strategy to develop and influence key bloggers and “thought leaders”.
- Define effective social media platforms to support the PR Strategy.
- Develop and plan social media content with key teams, write design briefs and brief designers.
- Evaluate and improve internal processes to support strategic planning and implementation.
- Produce KPIS and insight to improve digital campaigns.
- Line management responsibilities.
- To be the company Expert and Consultant, to support the organisation in the field of Social Media!.
- Person Spec: Skills and Experience
It varies across roles to the skills/experience which are set as desirable and essential.
- Passion for Social Media and PR.
- Keep abreast of new tools and the digital landscape.
- Results driven.
- Excellent communication and project management skills.
- Strong technical skills.
- Work independently and as part of team.
- Support other team members with good technical support and guidance.
- Ability to influence and negotiate, to achieve goals.
- Good time management skills.
- Strong commercial skills
- Experience in managing complex projects.
- Stakeholder management skills.
- Thrive when working under pressure!
- Experience of web analytics
- Numerate and good excel skills
- Excellent copywriting skills
- Previous experience in similar role.
- Experience in SEO, Web analytics, Digital consultancy or social data/insight company
- Solid practical skills in Microsoft Office.
- Understanding of SEO methodologies
- Some roles ask for knowledge in specific social media i.e. Facebook Insights, Twitter and YouTube.
Junior roles ask for:
- Technical understanding of HTML, Facebook and other APIs and web applications.
- Experience in Social Media monitoring tools i.e. Brand watch or Tweetdeck.
- Experience in Advertising, Journalism or web editing (Some roles)
- Strong copywriting skills (some roles)
- Core Competencies
These tend to be required for public sector roles and private companies can interview candidates based on competencies. Some may include Leadership, Communication, Creativity, Project Management, Financial and Problem Solving,
- Professional Qualifications and Associations
- Relevant marketing qualification is desirable (e.g. CIM, IDM)