Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) Recruitment June 2019
Terre des hommes Foundation is currently seeking suitable & qualified candidates to fill the role of the Head of Program
Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief organization, based in Lausanne (Switzerland). Every year our projects support more than 2 million children (3 million in 2016) and their families in over 35 countries. We are part of the Terre des hommes International Federation (TDHIF), with 9 other sister organizations in Switzerland, Europe and Canada.
Tdh has established a Country Office in Nigeria since the last quarter of 2017 to try to complete the covering a part of the needs of crisis affected people. For the moment, the organization is operating only in Borno State, essentially in the Eastern Part of the State, the Eastern Crescent -> from the North-East (Cross Kuawa, Kukawa, Monguno) to (Konduga, Gwoza, Banki). Some of the operations are implemented with the collaboration of a local partner (CHAD). TdH is targeting people’s affected by the crisis by addressing some humanitarian gaps related to the access to some primary needs (Water Supply, Non Food Items distributions, Hygiene Promotion) or social basic services (as Child Protection, Educational Support, Primary Health Care…).
Job Title: Head of Programs
Job ID: HP6737
Job Type: Full Time
Position Start Date: 1st of July 2019
Duration: 4 months
Location: Maiduguri – Nigeria
Seniority Level: Mid-Senior level
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Functions: Project Management, Administrative
The Head of Program ensures the supervision of operational aspects of the mission’s programs on a day-to-day basis. S/He guarantees the effective, efficient implementation of all activities from a comprehensive project cycle management perspective (identification of needs, proposal making, planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting and communication). S/He supports the HoM in representation activities linked to programs.
Leading the technical coordination team in ensuring timely implementation/achievement for programs:
- S/He ensures that programs (reaching objectives, monitoring of timetables, respecting activity schedules, budgetary monitoring, contractual reporting etc) are properly carried out and reports to the Country Rep. any problems faced.
- S/He alerts the Country Rep. in cases where delays in carrying out programs have been identified and suggest adjustments (in terms of activities, operation area, budget, schedule etc).
- S/He ensures that all program is qualitatively and timely implemented. S/He is the person centralizing all external reporting parts related to programs.
- S/He contributes to writing the monthly sitrep by writing sections concerning program achievements/issues in the area which S/He is responsible for, and submits this contribution for authorization and consolidation to the Country Rep.
- S/He guarantees that the technical coordinators are following that personnel, financial and logistical resources are meeting programs needs, especially within the framework of new project suggestions. In the case of shortcomings, S/He alerts the support coordination team and the Country Rep. and participates in identifying solutions.
- S/He encourages effective coordination between the program departments and the support departments (at both coordination and base levels).
- S/He participates in internal coordination meetings and is an active attendee of these meetings.
- S/He ensures that program implementation frameworks respect Tdh’s procedures and formats and are in compliance with the Tdh’s operation policy.
- S/He actively collaborates the Institutional Knowledge Building frame for programs at mission level and makes sure that methodologies, activity forms, etc. are properly drafted and updated.
Leading the design and deployment of the program’s part of the mission strategy:
- S/He leads the identification of areas / needs to assess and in the launching of relevant needs’ assessments.
- S/He monitors changing humanitarian needs at mission level and suggests to the Country Rep. operational and strategic orientations.
- S/He leads the program (project description) parts of proposal drafting processes at the mission level.
- S/He leads the preparation of the activities part of the mission’s strategy before submission to the Country Rep.
- S/He ensures that the programs’ strategies respect the values of the association.
Supervising and managing Program/Sectorial Units:
- S/He is the direct manager of the sectorial coordinators and the indirect manager of all program staff at the mission level.
- Thus, S/He writes and authorizes job descriptions which S/He submits for approval to the Country Rep. S/He carries out or delegates personnel interviews. S/He contributes to work meetings, mediates potential conflicts, and defines priorities and activity schedules.
- S/He may be involved in the recruitments, as well as the contract terminations, of the members of the program units.
- S/He supports the sectorial coordinators in scaling the program staff at coordination and field implementation levels.
- S/He supervises the continued training of the local and international members of the program teams (organizational, methodological and potentially technical support) and is directly involved in the identification of the training needs and recommends training action internally or externally.
Ensure the program representation of Tdh:
- Upon request from the Country Rep., S/He participates in external coordination meetings and is an active attendee of these meetings.
- S/He coordinates the sectorial representation (with his/her teams) of the Tdh among partners, donors and different authorities for the area which s/he is responsible for.
Making sure procedures are respected and facilitating the logistics, administrative and financial monitoring of his/her operations area:
- In terms of logistical, administrative and financial monitoring, s/he is involved to the extent at which his/her involvement effects the realization of programs. S/He is also involved because these areas of action are those of the technical coordinator of whom s/he is the manager. All the same, his/her involvement is limited to making sure information is communicated to the administrative and logistical coordinators, as guarantors that the procedures are respected, and as functional references for the mission for any logistical or administrative question.
- Supervise the identification of staff training needs and develop a capacity building strategy by supervising the delivery of tailored training/workshops.
- Supervise the operation related to the implementation of capacity building projects with a local partner when needed.
Staff Supervision & Development:
- Be responsible for drafting and updating job descriptions of Coordinators.
- To provide key staff (Coordinator, Managers, Deputy Managers, etc.) with ongoing staff monitoring, supervision, and support, including regular and constructive feedback.
- As needed by the project’s implementation needs, and as requested by the Country Rep., takes part in the definition of the HR needed for the correct implementation of the project.
- Comply with Tdh Security Regulations.
- Reports any security/safety incident and/or risk to the Country Rep.
- Involve in the process of the sharing of the security rules with the Program staff.
- Management of multi-sector program(s) with a food security and/or child protection component and local implementing partner(s).
- Extensive experience in expatriate team management.
- Excellent writing, reporting, communication and negotiation skills in English.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a similar position/high management position in the field.
- Work experience in rural conflict affected areas.
- Previous budget responsibility of 2 million € per year.
- Significant knowledge and experience in logistics, admin and finance.
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian response and donors.
- Advanced IT skills.
- Ability to work in an intercultural environment.
- Responsive, motivated, good communicator.
- Ability to work under pressure.
Please be advised that living conditions in the field (volatile security context, basic living conditions, shared showers/toilets, curfew, restriction of movements, etc.) can be challenging and although Tdh does the necessary to ensure security and wellbeing of the staff, people used to a certain level of comfort might not feel at ease in the field.
An expatriate contract under Swiss labour code 3’400 CHF (~2’950 €) < > 4’750 CHF (~4’100 €) net /month according to experience x 13 times, Vacancy: 25 days annual leaves local accommodation and transportation, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Method of Application
Please apply directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/JuWLayKT?idpartenaire=20008
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with a large number of applications received, we, unfortunately, cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions, you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418