What to consider when choosing a Master’s program?
A lot of job seekers have asked if I don’t get a job should I start a master’s program
Before you hurry to spend thousands of Naira or Dollars on a Master’s degree, ask yourself the following questions.
- Do I need the degree now? Why?
- How much will the degree cost me? Can I afford it?
- Will my earning potential increase after I have spent money on this degree?
- Who are the people in my field that have this additional degree and from this institution? Have their careers become better for it?
- Who are my role models in my field? Do they have similar postgraduate degrees? Are these degrees the reason for their success?
- Why do I want to study this specific topic (e.g. LLM Data Law)?
- What do I know about this field (e.g. Data Law)? Is my attraction to this field based on experience/fact or on speculation, current fads (liable to change in a few years) and the opinion of others?
- Can I undertake a shorter online course on the topic (e.g. Data Law) before I make a bigger commitment? What was my impression of the topic after taking the short course?
Take some time out to answer these questions as it would help you decide on a master’s program to actively engage in or study