The Internal Auditor Job Description Sample
This Internal Auditor job description sample can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job and letting the desired candidate know what the requirement for the job role is. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Position: Internal Auditor
Reports: Managing Director.
Internal Auditor Job Responsibilities
The System Auditor would be responsible for Prevention/reduction of fraud to the barest minimum possible.
Internal Auditor Duties include:
- To ensure good management of scarce resources
- To ensure sound risks management
- To ensure that all accounts books are prepared in accordance with accounting principles and standards
- To ensure sound and efficient control systems.
- Liaising with the Audit Committee on internal/systems audits.
- Serves as a watchdog
- Identification of loopholes in the system and reporting remedial actions to the Managing Director
- Reports likely risks inherent in such weaknesses to the systems
- Reports lose of all kinds to the management
- Makes recommendations to the management on breach of procedures to forestall reoccurrence.
- Fully responsible and answerable to the Managing Director.
- Periodic checking of the Trial Balance, Balance sheet & Profit & Loss Accounts to ascertain accuracies
- Periodic checking of aged debtors analyses report with debtors control accounts to ensure they reconciled
- Periodic checking of aged creditors analyses report with creditors control accounts to ensure they reconciled
- Cross-checking to ensure that sales (Customers) invoices in General Ledgers reconciled with products invoices postings in sales department always
- Cross-checking and ensuring that all purchases are duly posted into the appropriate accounts by Accounts dept, Bin cards by store personnel and Sales Accountant in sales department respectively
- Cross-checking and ensuring that all assets are properly entered into the assets register by carrying out physical identifications of all assets with computer printouts periodically; monthly reconciliation of assets.
- Periodic checking of the prepayment and accrual schedules in the General Ledgers
- Quarterly and Year-end stock takings with the store personnel
- Checks periodically all the postings in the General Ledges to ensure accuracy in postings and proper classifications in view of accounting principles
- Verification of credit sales and all purchases with material value in the General Ledgers regularly
- Carrying out regular checking on Customers’ accounts, Suppliers accounts and staff accounts etc
- Stock purchases reconciliations b/w General Ledger, Stock Cards and computer printouts from Sales department monthly
- Assists in handling some accounting jobs when the need arises.
- Works hand-in-hand with the external auditors during the annual audit of financial year-end.
- Works with the Audit Committee on systems audit issues when the need arises
- It is the responsibilities and obligations of systems audit to make sure, all the members of staff comply with company policies/procedures by:
- Ensuring that there is total compliance in keeping track records of movements of goods in and out of the company by the store officials
- Ensuring adequate reconciliations of physical stock with bin cards and computer postings
- Ensuring that transfers of goods to and from branches are adequately authorized and properly documented
- Cross-checking vehicles loading capacities and ensures they are not overloaded
- Ensuring that all Sales order for Productions (SOPs) are duly authorized and approved by the management.
- Monitoring the use of stock materials in view of all approved SOPs
- Reports any misuse of stocks materials, company tools and equipment etc. to the management.
- Ensuring that company assets are kept in good order
- Ensuring that all personnel and property documents are properly kept especially in Administration/HR dept., Accounts dept. or Sales dept.
- Checking to ensure that all purchases orders obtained the required authorization and approval in line with company policies/procedures
- Checking as to ensure that all physical cash in the safe falls within the insurance cover
- Checking the cheque books, authorizations, signature mandates & cash withdrawals from banks etc. are guided by the company’s procedures/policies.
- Carries out internal audits to identify any weaknesses or loopholes in the systems and make reports as well as recommend corrective measures to the management
- Monitoring all credit sales to ensure compliance with company’s policies on credit facilities
- Monitoring staff indebtedness to the company to ascertain compliance in repayments.
- Monitoring cash advances to staff and makes calls for their retirements
- Any other duties assigned.
Key Relationships of an Internal Auditor
- Managing Director
- Finance Director
- ED (Sales/Marketing
- QA/QC Manager
- Technical Manager
- Maintenance Manager
- All Departments.
Key Job Measures:
Responsible for the Prevention/reduction of fraud to the barest minimum possible in the company
Required Skills of an Internal Auditor
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Analytical and critical thinking Skills
- Communication skills.
- Data mining and analytics.
- Leadership skill
Salary of an Internal Auditor
This varies across various organizations but usually between $ 1500 – $2500 excluding other health insurance policy for the Staff, spouse and four children, Non-Accidental bonus and other benefits.
- First Degree in Accounting or any related Social Science Courses (HND, B. Sc).
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience on the job
- Necessary certificates and professional qualifications and master Degrees shall be added advantage